Friday, 5 May 2017

Why isn't everyone excited about the eclipse?

I am an eclipse evangelist. I freely admit I love going to total solar eclipses. And I am quick to share my love of eclipse chasing with anyone that will hear it. If asked, I will tell people that eclipse chasing is worth the effort and expense. Going to exotic locations is part of the fun. And if you have a travel bucket list, chances are good that an eclipse may be near by at some time in the future and should be added to the list.
Eclipse Chaser: Eclipse shirt/hat, solar filters for binoculars, dark sunglasses (except at night and during totality).
For residents of the USA, this summer presents an opportunity to see a total solar eclipse without exotic travel. (Unless your idea of exotic travel is further than a few miles.) I have telling everyone I know in the USA how wonderful this is going to be and that they should make an effort to go. Total solar eclipses are amazing and fun!

So why isn't everyone on board with this concept? Over the years I have tried to get other people to join me in going to see a total solar eclipse. Unfortunately the success rate is pretty low in that most people don't really want to go see one or more specifically, they don't want to go see the one I am promoting. The reasons to not go to a total solar eclipse vary from one person to the next.
N
Why NOT go to the total solar eclipse?

  1. The cost is too high. I get this. Sometimes the cost is way up there. When an eclipse is taking place in the middle of the ocean or over some continent where travel is costly this excuse makes sense. Even as an eclipse chaser I have surrendered to this problem in the past. Thus I am a bit selective in which eclipses I am willing to go see.
  2. Timing is bad for a holiday. The number of 'professional' eclipse chasers is few and most of us have to take time off from work or other obligations to travel. If the holiday time is not available or if the time required is excessive this is a reason to skip the eclipse.
  3. Don't want to go there. Again, a legitimate excuse. I skip eclipses where the weather may be bad or questionable. I have also skipped eclipses that required travel to locations in the world that are simply not fun to visit, have a poor track record with tourists, or do not offer a good chance of seeing the eclipse due to the climate.
  4. Other priorities when it comes to holiday time. Even I have succumbed to this reason in the past. When gainfully employed vacation or holiday time may be precious or inadequate to accommodate an eclipse chase along with other vacations. Suppose your idea of an ideal vacation is to lounge on the beach. Why go to a polar region eclipse and give that up? Or in my case, suppose your idea of an ideal vacation is to go to a resort or amusement park with the entire family. 
  5. Not interested in stuff like that. Okay, this is the only reason I cannot get at all. Eclipses are interesting even if you don't like science and astronomy. The Sun goes out without clouds in the middle of the day. How can anyone not be interested? I include this reason just because I hear it frequently as an excuse to skip an eclipse opportunity. Sorry, I don't get this one.
So you going? If,not, ohhhh, never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment