Thursday, 12 May 2016

Transit of Mercury - 2016 - a rare and boring solar system event

Maybe boring is too strong a word. Or maybe I just undersold the event to local friends. No one showed up to take a look except the gardener (and that was the first time he'd ever looked through a telescope). Oh well, I got to hog the eyepiece the entire time! Using my 8" SkyQuest (from Orion) and a full aperture solar filter, I watched for a little over an hour.

Is a Transit of Mercury worth travel to see? Maybe for some, but not for me.

Holding my iPhone to the eyepiece I snapped a couple images. The first shows the full disk of the Sun. Mercury is the tiny dot at the 1:20 position (12:00 is up) about half way from the center to the edge. There are several sunspot groups visible too. This is the view through the 40mm eyepiece.


Amazed by the success of holding the phone/camera to the eyepiece I upped the magnification by putting a 10mm eyepiece in. Mercury is on the top and a sunspot group is visible towards the bottom. 


Below is the set up area. I am in the lower left of the image with my telescope. While it looks windy, it is not too bad. The prevailing winds have blown the palms to look like it is always windy.


No comments:

Post a Comment